Tuesday, June 05, 2007

"I have a wad of $100s"

In a total brain fart moment I completly forgot to tell the tale of my recent Metro North ride. On Saturday my dear friend Kim and I took the 2:23 to Fordham. We almost didn't make it. Apparently the workers in Grand Central drive around on yellow work type vehicles. Within in 5 minutes we were almost run over twice. No joke. Had I not jumped back the first time I swear I would've lost a toe.

We finally made it to our train, with all our toes. One of the perks about taking Metro North is that the train is always on the track and waiting. Even better....the doors are open! Get out! They actually let you wait in the train. Kim and I made our way to find seats, it wasn't hard the train was empty. It was a new train like the ones the LIRR has. The only difference is that the seats looked like they had just been slicked down in oil. Not gonna lie, it was gross. They didn't feel oily they just looked nasty.

As we were waiting to pull out of the station an announcement was made:

"I just found a wad of $100 bills. Please find the conductor to claim it."

After Kim and I made numerous jokes that it was our money another announcement was made.

"I'm sorry, I lied. It's just one $100 bill. The rest of the wad is made up of $50s."

I doubt any of this was true. Just a conductor trying to be funny and probably wanting to see if anyone would step up and try to claim the fictional money.

The ride itself wasn't bad at all. But going back on Sunday the wait was a pain. Like the LIRR it pulled into the station about 5 minutes late. This is unusual for the very punctual Metro North. The highlight of it being late was having to "walk the plank" to get on the train. There was actual track work going on and long ramps were built out on to the tracks. Once it was safe we walked single file on these ramps to board the train. Then we waited another 5 minutes before moving. It was frustrating, mainly because I was sure the train would be on time. I just wanted to get home and rest! I was exhausted from the weekend.

Another perk....round trip it cost me $6! Gotta love city zones!

No comments: