Friday, November 24, 2006

I took the easy way out

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I know I said I was taking the LIRR home for the holiday but I managed to get a ride from a dear friend Julia. I was all set to take the rail but I got out of work early enough and I was extremely happy about that. Instead of lugging my laundry home on a crowded holiday train I went home in comfort.

The reports I heard weren't too bad. My brother managed to get a seat....a rare holiday treat. My sister on the other hand wasn't so lucky. She was standing on an overpacked train. When they reached Jamaica no one could get on or off the train! People were yelling and shoving......then cursing when the delays were announced. She even tapped a man on the shoulder and told him to move into the car so other people could get off. When she was picked up at New Hyde Park my Mom was waiting outside the car (a first in commuting history) waving her arms so my sister could see her. Her words when my sister got in the car "I've never seen anything like it!" Apparently there were about 40,000 people getting off at that stop. In reality I'm sure it was a few hundred. Either way I'm just happy I wasn't on the rail!

No comments: